In addition to the data resources to which the CSU subscribes, there are a growing number of other sources of data. Except as noted, the following are freely available to the public:
- American National Election Study (ANES).
Various datasets from 1948 to present.
- General Social Survey (GSS).
Various datasets from 1972 to present, including the cumulative file for 1972-2012. They can be downloaded from the National Opinion Research Center site in SPSS or Stata format. In addition, several instructional subsets of GSS data are available on the SSRIC site here.
- Panel Study of Income Dynamics (PSID).
Various datasets from 1968 to present.
- Survey Documentation and Analysis (SDA).
Developed at UC Berkeley,SDA allows users to do statistical analysis online without the need for any client-side software (such as SPSS, SAS, or Stata). Datasets in SDA format include the American National Election Study and the General Social Survey.
- ICPSR Thematic Collections
Archives at ICPSR provide access to data collections (many of them in SDA format) and other resources in many disciplines. Note: some of these data are available only to students, faculty, and staff at ICPSR member institutions.
- Public Policy Institute of California Data Depot
Statewide California public opinion polls from 1998 to the present, along with data on California's demography, natural resources, and public finance.
- Pew Research Center Data Archive
Survey data from the Pew Research Center For The People & The Press, 1997 to present.
- IPUMS (Integrated Public Use Microdata Series) Census Microdata
Last updated: March 18, 2013