Request for Proposals Social Science Research and Instructional Council
Instructional Materials Project (IMP) Grants
The Edward Nelson Faculty Development Award in the Design of Instructional Materials
The Social Science Research and Instructional Council (SSRIC) is one of a few system-wide associations and is the only CSU system-wide association focused on providing support for social science scholarship. In addition to sponsoring an annual student conference and providing access to archival databases, SSRIC maintains a website with online textbooks and instructional materials to help social science instructors teach with social science data.
This request for proposals asks CSU faculty to propose instructional exercises that will be posted on the SSRIC website. Upon successful completion of the process, up to two applicants will be awarded $3,000 each for their submission of acceptable exercises. Potential applicants are encouraged to see existing exercises here. Priority will be given to novel topics, approaches, and/or software platforms.
- Proposals must provide clear exercises, useful in the classroom, to teach students data analysis that are broadly applicable to social science literature.
- Proposals should describe 4-10 exercises, preferably around a common theme.
- Proposals are not limited based on technology or methodology.
- Proposals should include clear instructions for students, and for faculty.
- Proposals should demonstrate clarity and should teach specific analytical skills.
- Proposals must rely on data that is available for public consumption.
We encourage proposals to use publicly-available data from the ICPSR. The ICPSR database is primarily a subscription database, but it also provides a significant amount of data available to the public. Also, SSRIC may be able to host accompanying data (contact us for more detail).
- Proposals are due by March 3rd, 2023.
- Awards will be announced by March 17th, 2023.
Download the RFP Instructions for details on how to submit your application online.
When your proposal is ready to submit, launch the online IMP application form.