2009-10-23: Fall 2009

CSU East Bay

Present: Ellen Berg (Chair, Sacramento), Greg Bohr (SLO), Nan Chico (East Bay), Stafford Cox* (Long Beach), Rhonda Dugan (Bakersfield), Matt Jarvis
(Fullerton), Pat Jennings (East Bay), John Korey (Pomona), Josh Meisel
(Humboldt), Ed Nelson (Fresno), Ken Shultz* (San Bernardino), Rich Taketa (San
Jose), Gene Turner* (Northridge), Billy Wagner* (Channel Islands), Lori Weber

*Via Elluminate online conferencing software

style='"Times New Roman"'>1. style='font:7.0pt "Times New Roman"'>      style='"Times New Roman"'>M/S/P to approve the minutes
of the spring 2009 meeting.

2.   Budget. 

During the summer and early fall, the Executive Committee
(Ellen, John, Kathy, Ed, and Lori) talked with Gerry Hanley and agreed (however
reluctantly) to several changes to the budget necessitated by the current
crisis.  We no longer have a SDA
license or travel money.  Funding
for the Student Research Conference is still in question.  San Francisco State has agreed for the time being to not
charge us for Web hosting services, but will not be able to continue this

3.   Data
Base Subscriptions. 

counting the Maritime Academy, all campuses except for San Bernardino have
subscribed.  Ken is still working on
getting that campus to do so.

4.   ICPSR
Report (Lori, Ed)

new slate of nominees has been proposed for the 2010-2014 term (http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/ICPSR/or/announce.jsp#2009-10-21).  Official Representatives should be
receiving their ballots by the first week in November.  Lori’s term extends until
2012.  We should be thinking now
about someone whom we can propose for nomination when elections are held in
2011 for the 2012-2016 term.

should be encouraged to apply for the Summer Undergraduate Internship Program
(http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/ICPSR/careers/internship.jsp) and to
submit papers for the Undergraduate Research Paper Competition ( href="http://www.icpsr.com/icpsrweb/ICPSR/prize/index.jsp" target="_blank">http://www.icpsr.com/icpsrweb/ICPSR/prize/index.jsp).

from the recent OR meeting are available at href="http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/ICPSR/or/ormeet/program/index.jsp" target="_blank">http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/ICPSR/or/ormeet/program/index.jsp.

Frey has inquired as to whether the SSRIC would be interested in a workshop in
California on the Social Science Data Analysis Network (SSDAN) ( href="http://www.ssdan.net/" target="_blank">http://www.ssdan.net/).  We would.  Ed will contact him.

Shanks would be willing to host SDA datasets of interest to the SSRIC on the
SDA site (http://sda.berkeley.edu/) for a nominal fee.  Ed was asked to inquire further and to
note that we already have several datasets in SDA format and would be
interested in sharing them.

developments at ICPSR:

style='font-family:Symbol;'>·         ICPSR
Director Myron Gutmann will be
leaving on November 1 to head the
National Science Foundation's Social, Behavioral and Economics (SBE)
Directorate.  George Alter has been named Acting

style='font-family:Symbol;'>·         The
Minority Data Resource Center http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/MDRC/) will be
renamed the Resource Center for Minority Data.  John Garcia will serve as center

style='font-family:Symbol;'>·         A
new Terrorism and Preparedness Data Resource Center ( href="http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/TPDRC/" target="_blank">http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/TPDRC/)
has been established.

style='font-family:Symbol;'>·         The
Online Learning Center ( target="_blank">http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/OLC/index.html) has added a number of new modules.

Teaching With Data (http://www.teachingwithdata.org – caution, site still in early development). Ed and George Baldwin
(Monterey Bay) are on a 10 campus committee to advise on the development of this resource.  The goal is to provide faculty with teaching resources, including
datasets, tables, exercises, articles on pedagogy, and metadata.  A baseline survey of the 10 campuses
will be carried out in January or February, with a follow-up survey about a year

5.   ICPSR
Summer Program Czar. 

agreed to serve again this year.  M/S/P: the overriding criteria for
evaluating proposals will be overall quality and how the proposal will benefit
instruction; preference will be given to faculty over students, to untenured
tenure-track faculty over tenured faculty, and to those who have not previously
received assistance from the SSRIC for this purpose.

6.   2008-2009 Annual Usage and Service Report.  Available at http://www.ssric.org/node/359.

style='"Times New Roman"'>7.  Workshops. 

style='"Times New Roman"'>We need to explore several delivery
options in addition to the traditional face-to-face format.  These could include:

style='font-family:Symbol;'>·         Video
recording of face-to-face workshops.  Ed and John tried this on October 16 at Bakersfield.  The video has been sent to Andrew
Roderick, with the notion that it can be cut up into segments and posted to
ssric.org and DIVA.

style='font-family:Symbol;'>·         Live
webinars using Elluminate (http://www.elluminate.com/) or similar software.  These could then be posted to the Web
for later viewing, as ICPSR is already doing.

style='font-family:Symbol;'>·         Web-based
screen casts using Camtasia Studio ( href="http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp" target="_blank">http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camtasia) or similar software.

style='font-family:Symbol;'>·         Hybrid
models, such as face-to-face workshops that incorporate Web-based segments.

8.   Field

Fellow and Question Credit Proposals will be due on April 15.  (Note that this is a change from
previous years.)

will be no Field Workshop this fall.  Mark DiCamillo has inquired as to whether the SSRIC would prefer that
the next workshop be held in spring 2010 (prior to the June primary) or fall
2010 (prior to the November general election).  Note was made of the fact that late May
is a difficult time for faculty because of grading responsibilities.

9    Future

meeting: February 5 or 19.  Ellen
will check with Ali Modarres at Cal State LA.

Spring meeting (Student Research Conference): late April or early May.  John will check on room availability.

10.   Website

SDA datasets (due to loss of SDA license).
  class=GramE>Added: SSRIC Newsletter (http://www.ssric.org/newsletters)
and Instructional Data Subsets (http://www.ssric.org/node/361).

style='"Times New Roman"'>11.  Governance. 

The Bylaws (http://www.ssric.org/bylaws)
are in need of revision.  Procedures
for establishing a quorum and for amending the bylaws have become
outdated.  The bylaws are silent
regarding the Executive Committee and the increasingly important role it has
come to play.  Some language has
been made obsolete (by, for example, changes in technology such as email).  The Executive Committee was asked to serve
as a Committee on Style to propose revisions and to circulate the proposal
prior to the Winter 2010 meeting.

style='"Times New Roman"'>Committee structure ( href="http://www.ssric.org/node/12#org" target="_blank">http://www.ssric.org/node/12#org). style='"Times New Roman"'>  Ed will check with the members of the
Field Committee regarding their willingness to continue to serve; Gene will do
the same for the Teaching Resources Committee.

12. California Social Survey. 

will check with Ted Lascher for an update.

13. Strategic

will send the Strategic Plan developed last year to Gerry Hanley, and will send
copies to Council members for review and further discussion at the class=GramE>Winter
2010 meeting.  Next steps should focus on stabilizing funding and on outreach to new

14. Use of Elluminate. 

There was concensus that, despite some glitches, the hybrid face-to-face and Web conference format for Council meetings seems to work fairly well.

Recorded by John L.Korey