2012-02-10: Winter 2012

 

style='mso-bidi-font-weight:normal'>Winter 2012 SSRIC Meeting

February 10, 2012

San Francisco State University

 

Attendees: Josh Meisel (chair,
Humboldt), Ed Nelson (Fresno), Francis Neeley (SF),
Ellen Berg (Sacramento), Rich Taketa (San Jose), Greg
Bohr (San Luis Obispo), Jim Ross (visiting former member)

On Elluminate: Rhonda Dugan (Bakersfield), Jill Yamashita (Monterey
Bay), Lori Weber (Chico), Carl Stempel (East Bay),
Ali Modarres (LA), Kristin Bates (San Marcos), Gene
Turner (Northridge), Stafford Cox (Long Beach), Kevin Grisham (San Bernardino),
Matt Jarvis (Fullerton)

Minutes from last meeting: Approved

Agenda: Approved

Announcements:

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Josh offered to write a letter for anyone who
needs one for an RTP file.

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Jim Ross mentioned that his wife works for State
Senator Rubio, who is sponsoring SB 960, and would like any examples of campus
administrations transferring campus-based mandatory or IRA fees to other uses
without student body consultation. Contact Linda Fiddler (linda.fiddler@sen.ca.gov)
for more info.

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Ed reminded campus reps to review their campus
SSRIC subscription lists to be sure they are up to date.

Student Research Conference:

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
The conference will be Thursday May 3, 2012, at
CSU Los Angeles. Ali announced that the room reservations and food reservations
are made for the student research conference.

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
The search for a speaker is underway: Ali
mentioned a few possibilities, but would like suggestions (by end of February,
if possible). There was general agreement that a non-academic speaker might be
more interesting.

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
A high turn-out is desirable: Ali asked that all
reps reach out to student organizations (clubs, etc) to encourage attendance.
Play up the opportunity to get presenting experience in a friendly environment.
Also, direct contact with other faculty on campus to encourage them to send
their students. And, post flyers/posters in prominent locations!

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Rich, Gene, and other recent SRC hosts are asked
to forward drafts of flyers and posters that they used to Ali for editing and
distribution.

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Josh will contact Beth Ambos to invite her, and
to ask if she’d like to make some remarks.

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Stafford suggested that using the class=SpellE>Qualtrics registration system might avoid some of the
problems (lost registrations) encountered last year.

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Ellen suggested that the registration form
include a mention that a confirmation email will be sent; students could then
follow up with the organizers if they don’t hear that their registration was
received.

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Student papers awards: Greg, Ed, Kevin, Gene,
Lori, and Rhonda volunteered to judge.

Anniversary Dinner:

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
The 40th Anniversary dinner will be
held on Thursday, May 3 (after the SRC). Luminarias class=GramE> was proposed as a venue – Ali will investigate, and
additional suggestions are solicited.

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Plan is for a social hour, dinner, and open- class=SpellE>mic for reminiscing and story-telling. Expecting about 40
people.

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Ed has a list of former chairs, John has
distributed a list of campus reps that he has no contact info for – each
current rep is asked to check on names listed for their campus, and send him
contact info if known.

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Josh asked if anyone has artifacts of the early
years (data tapes, punch cards, anything to give the flavor of quantitative
analysis when the SSRIC began) to share and decorate the dinner.

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Ed will invite Gerry and Beth to the dinner.

Andrew’s Visit:

Questions to Andrew:

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Is there a way to download campus email lists to
a more flexible format (e.g. .csv) in order to
streamline process of forwarding emails from other sources to campus list?
Andrew will investigate.

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Is there a way to set up a conference
registration system on the SSRIC web site? Basic needs would be: a registration
form to be submitted on line, a reporting method to the organizer of lists of
participants, a confirmation message to registrant. A method for attaching
papers would be desirable but not critical. Andrew will explore the feasibility
and report back.

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
(Ed) Emails to campus long list no longer giving
bounce-back message for undeliverables? Andrew will
check.

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Is there any system-wide movement toward
adoption of on-line survey tools? A CSU-wide license with one or more vendors,
for example? What role could SSRIC play in ongoing conversations?

style='font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"'> style='mso-list:Ignore'>o  
SFSU has a group exploring site-license options
(see item below)

style='font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"'> style='mso-list:Ignore'>o  
Collective procurement becoming a hotter topic –
CO typically uses a ‘seven interested campuses’ rule in deciding whether to get
involved.

style='font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"'> style='mso-list:Ignore'>o  
SSRIC can play role of consolidating faculty
teaching and research perspective – needs and perceptions of use.

style='font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"'> style='mso-list:Ignore'>o  
Lori proposed developing a white paper on IRB
issues, privacy, best practices, integrating tools into research methods
courses. Lori will draft, but needs:

style='font-family:Wingdings;mso-fareast-font-family:Wingdings;mso-bidi-font-family:
Wingdings'>§ 
updated document describing software privacy
tools (Ed will send),

style='font-family:Wingdings;mso-fareast-font-family:Wingdings;mso-bidi-font-family:
Wingdings'>§ 
input from other reps on IRB issues triggered by
use of survey tools

style='font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"'> style='mso-list:Ignore'>o  
Ed proposed developing lists of heavy users of
survey tools as a resource for decision makers as well as new users. Andrew
mentioned that vendors can also be valuable sources of information.

style='font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"'> style='mso-list:Ignore'>o  
GOAL: SSRIC workshop on online survey tools by
next Spring.

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Announcement from Andrew: Linda class=SpellE>Detterman (ICPSR) will be in SF in early May and would like
to give a workshop – is SSRIC interested in being involved? Date may conflict
with some academic conferences, in which case, no. Ed will follow up.

Election of 2012-13 Chair:

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Rhonda was nominated by Ed, seconded by Ellen.
Unanimous vote in favor!

ICPSR Update (Lori):

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
ICPSR is interested on having a CSU
representative on the ICPSR Council – next election will be in two years (talk
to Lori for details)

style='font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"'> style='mso-list:Ignore'>o  
They will want a person who has been involved
with ICPSR; attending next OR meeting would be a start, or connecting with
ICPSR staff at conferences

style='font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"'> style='mso-list:Ignore'>o  
Council is 4 year commitment, with three
meetings per year (travel provided) and is a good chance to interact with US
and international scholars and librarians

style='font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"'> style='mso-list:Ignore'>o  
CSU reps have provided a much needed teaching
focus to the Council in the past

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Links to useful ICPSR pages:

style='font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"'> style='mso-list:Ignore'>o  
ICPSR Student Research Paper Competition: There
are links on this Web page (on the right) to previous award papers that serve
as good examples for students.

target="_blank">http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/ICPSR/prize/index.html

style='font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"'> style='mso-list:Ignore'>o  
ICPSR Summer Intern Program: There are links on
this Web page to videos of student poster presentations that serve as good
examples for students.

href="http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/ICPSR/support/announcements/2011/11/icpsr-accepting-applications-for-2012"
target="_blank">http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/ICPSR/support/announcements/2011/11/icpsr-accepting-applications-for-2012

style='font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"'> style='mso-list:Ignore'>o  
ICPSR Summer Program Information: Pay special
attention to funding links at the top (plus we have funding through SSRIC for
one faculty tuition waiver)

http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/sumprog/

SSRIC Budget:

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Josh introduced draft of budget for next year –
little overall change

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Will continue 5% increase to individual campuses
– very important that all campuses resubscribe

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Question raised whether provider costs drop if
some campuses don’t join; Ed and Lori will check

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Ed will check on planned provider fees for next
year

Survey Software:

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Rick Harvey (SFSU Public Health faculty) gave a
presentation on their examination of survey software applicability and
licensing

style='font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"'> style='mso-list:Ignore'>o  
Currently examining four options ( class=SpellE>Qualtrics, SurveySnap, class=SpellE>SurveyGizmo, SurveyMonkey)

style='font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"'> style='mso-list:Ignore'>o  
Preparing an in-depth report to support a
campus-wide license decision – will be complete this semester

style='font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"'> style='mso-list:Ignore'>o  
SSRIC can contact Rick to obtain a copy of the
report

Field Committee Report:

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Proposals due Apr 15.

Workshops:

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
No workshops were scheduled for last class=GramE>Fall.

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Ed asked that requests for workshops for this class=GramE>Spring be sent to him. Campuses are encouraged to schedule class=GramE>Spring workshops in order to increase database utilization
and increase SSRIC visibility.

Databases:

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Reviewed data utilization for ICPSR, Roper and
Field.

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Discussed ways to increase usage: schedule a
workshop, incorporate SSRIC data into workshops offered by faculty development
coordinators, other?

Campus Rep Participation:

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Some campus reps are apparently inactive/less
active – why? Lack of rep involvement may be reflected in decreased data usage
on those campuses. Josh will contact less-active reps to discuss reasons.

style='font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:
Symbol'>·        
Items for Spring meeting:

style='font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"'> style='mso-list:Ignore'>o  
Strategies to increase data usage

style='font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"'> style='mso-list:Ignore'>o  
Strategies to increase campus rep participation

style='font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"'> style='mso-list:Ignore'>o  
Broader data/SSRIC integration into other campus
areas

Meeting adjourned