2005-02-04: Winter 2005

Minutes – SSRIC Winter 2005, Cal Poly SLO

 

Members present: Lori Weber (Chico), Kanghu Hsu (Dominguez Hills), Nan Chico (East Bay, formerly Hayward; scribe du jour), Ed Nelson (Fresno), Mark Drayse (Fullerton), Steve Stambough (Fullerton), Ted Anagnoson (Los Angeles), Gene Turner (Northridge), John Korey (Pomona), Carole Kennedy (San Diego), Kathy Naff (San Francisco), Rich Taketa (San Jose), Dick Shaffer (SLO), Garry Ralison (San Marcos), Stephen Routh (Stanislaus)

 

The meeting was called to order by Chair Rich Taketa at 10am. Item #8 was postponed until immediately after lunch.

 

 

1. The Fall 2004 minutes were approved [note: web version should be “Don” Dixon, not Ron]

http://www.class.csupomona.edu/pls/ssric/m04-051.html

 

 

2. Spring Student Research Conference, Fresno (Ed): Thursday, April 28 [business meeting on Friday the 29th]. Be sure to recruit students for this! If they want to compete for one of three prizes (best undergrad, best grad, best use of quantitative data) they must have the paper to Ed by April 18; we will read the papers Wednesday evening, so let Ed know if you can help do this (pizza and goodies included). And let him know if you need more posters for your campus.

http://www.class.csupomona.edu/pls/ssric/src.html

 

3. SSDB (Social Science Data Bases) Workshops (Rich)

http://www.class.csupomona.edu/pls/ssric/workshops.html

Recent workshops at Bakersfield and San Jose had good attendance; next is Stanislaus and Pomona. Soon will be Sonoma, San Marcos, Sacramento, Northridge and maybe Chico? First target is non-subscribers, but we’d like to see more use by everyone. Let Rich know if you are interested. Ideally, more of us will pick up the training and can help present these workshops. In addition to demo-ing ICPSR, Roper, and Field, we could build up to SIMI, TRD/SSTARS, and DAS/SDA. The CO pays for travel expenses.

 

 

4. ICPSR Summer Program (Ted)

 

We just received information about the 2005 Summer Program at http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/sumprog/

 

Applications are due April 22, the week before the Spring meeting. ICPSR gives us about $3,000 to allocate to CSU faculty applicants; Ted highly recommends the one-week workshops and he can recommend places to stay. He will email us when he has more info about the 2005 program.

5. ICPSR/IMIS Report (Ed)

 

SIMI and IMIS [and TRD] are acronyms relating to teaching materials for undergraduate social science students. ICPSR has only recently been open to focusing on undergrads, mostly due to prodding by SSRIC and other federated groups.

The SIMI archive now has 54 instructional data sets, and there have been lots of downloads from the site.

http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/SIMI/index.html

 

You can also show undergrads how to use the DAS (which uses SDA), proving that SSRIC is not alone in odd acronym construction. Currently has 180+ data sets.

http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/access/sda.html

 

ICPSR has requested that SSRIC choose 5-6 additional data sets that they will consider putting into SDA format, so let Ed know if you have a favorite.

 

We would like to see more submissions to the SIMI site; any suggestions? Perhaps a peer review system that might tie to PTRs?

 

At the October, 2005 OR meeting (ICPSR) in Ann Arbor, there will be a workshop for new OR’s (probably on Thursday). On Saturday morning, there will be two sessions focusing on instruction. The IMIS subcommittee is suggesting to the ICPSR Council that a prize be offered for the best instructional materials submitted before the OR meeting. Suggestion is that the prize be $500, a free trip to the OR meeting, and the opportunity to present the materials at the Saturday session on instructional materials. Ed will let us know if the Council adopts this suggestion. So get ready to submit materials.

 

SSRIC members are encouraged to subscribe to the Teaching Methods listserv.

http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/mailman/listinfo/teach-methods

 

 

6. ICPSR/OR Meeting (Rich)

ICPSR has 5 slots for our Federation at the biennial OR meeting in Ann Arbor (October 20-23).

http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/or-public/ormeet/index.html

 

They pay travel and provide most meals, ORs or their campuses pay room and some meals. At the Spring meeting Rich will have a list of campuses by eligibility. If you are interested in attending, and we particularly encourage new ORs to go if they can, be prepared to let us know at that meeting. There’s a reception on Thursday evening, and lots of workshops (teaching, data sets, statistical procedures) after that. For new ORs there is an earlier workshop on Thursday which is highly recommended.

 

 

 

 

7. California Social Survey update [Lori]

 

A committee has been working on the creation of a survey modeled on the GSS and has also been investigating funding sources and institutional support. There will be a full report at the Spring meeting.

 

 

9. Budget 04-05 and 05-06 (Rich)

 

Next year’s budget is in preparation, and input from SSRIC reps was requested. Ideas included more workshops; more travel funds (to meetings, for workshops, help with ICPSR lodging); software for teleconferencing; purchasing survey software; working on grants; issuing RFPs for using our data and/or teaching materials in the classroom.

 

 

10. Executive Committee (Rich)

 

Rich, as first-time SSRIC chair, suggested that John and Ed serve as an executive committee to work with him on various ideas and issues during the gap between last Spring and Fall (when there were lots of action items). He found the committee idea very useful, and asked John and Ed to continue working with him, which the council thought was a good idea. Future chairs may wish to avail themselves of this process.

 

 

Lunch on Campus

 

 

8. Updated SSRIC Website at SFSU (Andrew Roderick)

 

Andrew gave us a handout and a PPT presentation based on the fact that the SSDBA is gone but we need a homepage for SSRIC that would also include TRD materials. After a discussion of various scenarios and budget considerations, we agreed that Andrew’s team will start working on a web site for us and plan on a start-up budget of up to $10,000. This should work, given a lower emphasis on data archiving (less complicated back-end software) and a main emphasis on teaching materials. For examples of websites designed by the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences team, see:

http://nsrc.sfsu.edu/Index.cfm

http://familyproject.sfsu.edu/

http://csugis.sfsu.edu/ucgis/

 

 

3:00pm Conference Call with Glenda Morgan, Chancellor’s Office

 

We had a lot of questions, and Glenda will check with the appropriate budget folks and get back to us with answers. 1) Can we offer a rebate to campuses since we collected approximately $15,000 more than we need from campuses? She suggested we email her a proposal, which she will take to appropriate person. The Executive Committee was instructed to carry through on this. 2) Can we have some budget $$ in a Foundation account so that we can pay for food for the Student Research Conferences? 3) How do we pay Andrew, ¼ ¼ ¼ ¼ or something easier? She says he looks honest, so ½ up front and the rest later should be fine. Glenda had a question for us, which most of us couldn’t answer – who on your campus is using SAS? Get back to her on this if you know someone who is. Also, even though the price for SPSS went up, we are not in danger yet. But stay tuned.

 

 

11. Election of New Chair (All)

 

Ed nominated Mike Reibel, who was not present. Let that be a lesson to non-attendees. Mike fortunately knew about this ahead of time, and after reading his CV we voted unanimously to elect him as our 2005-2006 Chair. The last line of his CV was most convincing: under Hobbies, he mentioned “Preparing mouthwatering cold smoked barbecue.” We asked if he could bring some to the Fall meeting. :-)

 

 

12. By-law Changes (John)

 

After an inquiry into who belongs to “north” and who belongs to “south” campuses, we unanimously agreed to eliminate such geographically challenging considerations in appointing members to the Field Committee. We also removed term limitation language.

 

We also decided we need to clarify what a “majority” of the members really means. [Note: see Spring 2005 minutes for clarification.]

 

 

13. Field Committee Report (Ed)

 

The Committee recommended Charles Gossett (Pomona) as the Faculty Fellow, and Stephen Kroll (Sac State) for the six question credits. Ed reminded us to let applicants for Field surveys know that if and when their awarded question credits will actually show up in a survey is completely up to Field.

 

We don’t yet know if there will be a position for a student intern, but we do have someone who is interested, Helay Niazi from Pomona.

 

Next year’s Field Committee will consist of Ed, Dick, and Steve (Stambough).

 

Mark DiCamillo asked us to come up with a date for the Field Workshop, which he plans for some Friday in Fall. But not 10/21, since that would coincide with the ICPSR meeting.

 

The Field 2004 data is at the UCB site, and everyone should try to download it. If you can’t, you need to make sure your browser is set for passive FTP (contact Ed if you have a problem).

http://ucdata.berkeley.edu:7101/new_web/welcome.html

 

 

14. ICPSR New Fee Structure (All)

 

The new fees are based on the Carnegie designation, not campus size (ask Rich for a handout if you didn’t get one yet). For many campuses, fees will be $5,200 from 2007 through 2011. After that, possibly a 3% increase each year. Rich is going to ask ICPSR if there will be other increases through 2011 and also if the sudden jump for Federated membership discounts from our current 45% to future 20% can be transitioned over time. (Note: We found out that there will not be a 3% cost of living increase during the transition period from 2007 through 2011.) We also need to think about who will get the usage report (Andrew would be a good choice, if SFSU is designated as our hub).

 

Many thanks to Dick Shaffer, our cordial host for the business meeting and workshop!