2000-09-22: Fall 2000

September
22, 2000

Minutes

 

Present:

Chris Bettinger San
Francisco State

Jim Gerber San Diego
State

Frank Gossette CSU
Long Beach

Tony Hernandez SSDBA

Ted Lascher Sacramento
State

Ed Nelson CSU Fresno

Jim Ross CSU
Bakersfield

Rich Taketa San
Jose State

Gene Turner CSU
Northridge

Spring 2000 Minutes

The Spring 2000 minutes were approved without objection.

Long Term SSRIC Issues

Ted brought up the list of issues raised at the Spring, 2000
meeting. The question was what to do about them. We had discussed the
possibility of conducting focus groups. The workshop for this meeting was
originally to deal with how one organizes a focus group. However,
unfortunately, Richard Serpe, who was going to lead the workshop, was unable to
attend the meeting due to his workload. No further action was taken.

SSRIC Meeting Attendance

The council discussed the difficulties in getting council
members to the meetings. Jim Gerber spent a fair amount of time last year contacting
members directly. Suggestions for improving attendance included:

1. Move the Fall
meeting back to October to avoid scheduling the meeting in the first week of
the term for those on quarters.

2. Identifying
a campus alternate who could attend if the designated representative was unable
to attend

3. Getting funding for
travel to the meetings by communicating with deans the importance of the SSRIC
meetings. Actions include a letter from the SSRIC chair to deans thanking them
for participation, a letter on the SSRIC appointment to be sent to deans (Ted
will draft), and including deans on the SSDBA mailing list (Tony). Ed will
check for the availability of a reflector list for Social and Behavioral
Science Deans.

Student Research Conference

Ted Lascher raised the question of how to increase
participation. The conference provides a venue in which students can present
their work, addressing the council's goal of supporting student access to and
use of social science data. One question was whether should we be doing a
conference? If not, then what are the alternatives to promote numeracy and use
of the SSDBA. Plus, we have a continuing concern with competition from the
statewide student conference.

 

 

A number of ideas were proposed:

1. Allow works in progress
at poster sessions.

2. Have the Field Faculty
Fellow make a presentation as one of two keynote speakers or have the faculty
fellow present at a plenary session.

3. Allow registration on
the SSDBA web site. Provide lunch only for those who have registered?

Other options

We could sponsorship a California Social Survey to generate
a more complete survey for California. This would provide a database for
generating student research. The survey could be conducted via regional labs.
We would need to identify a role for SSRIC. The consensus was to pursue the
possibility. A subcommittee consisting of Jim Ross, Ed Nelson, Ted Lascher,
John Korey, Richard Serpe, and Jim Gerber was formed to investigate the idea
and seek funding sources. They will report back at the winter meeting.

Meeting schedule:

The schedule for SSRIC meetings was discussed. The remaining
two meetings are scheduled as follows:

Winter meeting: style='mso-tab-count:1'> February 9-10

Spring meeting: style='mso-tab-count:1'> April 27-28

Some members expressed concerns about the Friday-Saturday
schedule. We will continue the schedule for this year, but will review the
meeting days for next year.

Members listed possible workshop topics:

1. Focus groups

2. Statistical techniques

3. Census 2000

4. GIS

Ted will check with Richard Serpe again for the a focus
group workshop at the Winter meeting. Jim Ross and Jim Gerber will check with
people they know who might be able to conduct such a workshop if Richard
cannot.

SSDBA

Tony Hernandez discussed changes at the SSDBA. They have
installed a new Sun server and disk array. It is a faster, more reliable, and
larger capacity configuration.

Other new features include:

1. Automated account
setup.

2. Faculty will be able to
manage student accounts, including granting and denying access.

3. Anonymous FTP: will be
able to search for data sets not currently on-line. Small data sets will be
sent via e-mail, and large data sets will be put up on the anonymous FTP site.
One issue: ICPSR data must be secured. Tony will investigate adding security
features to the process.

4. Users can now create
custom subsets.

4. A workshop is scheduled
at Long Beach in October, with registration via the SSDBA web page.

5. STF 4 data is now on
line.

Tony will investigate when GSS 2000 will be available.

Send ICPSR and other CDs to campus libraries?

Need to update the link from the Teaching Resource
Depository (TRD) to SSDBA.

Field Poll

Ed Nelson discussed the Field Poll items. Ed will be sending
RFPs for faculty fellow, question credits, and student interns in September. He
will be sending this information to SSRIC members, campus deans, and
research-oriented faculty.

We may need a replacement for Richard Serpe on the Field
committee. Ted Lascher will check the by-laws and will ask Ted Anagnoson if OK.

Tony Hernandez indicated that he was having difficulties
with two of the Field Polls for 2000. He is working with Mark DiCamillo to
resolve the issues.

Research-Oriented Faculty List

Ed Nelson and Tony Hernandez will work out a way to manage
the mailing list. Ed will see if he can figure out how to export his mailing
list and send to Tony. Tony will investigate the possibility of setting up a
system to allow SSRIC members to access and update the mailing list.

ACCESS

Ed Nelson is chair of ACCESS for this year. A meeting is
scheduled for October 12 to discuss the future of access. The Academic
Technology Advisory Committee (ATAC) is serving as Chancellor Reed’s advisory
committee.

Ed will distribute a brief history of his involvement with
ACCESS/AIRC.

Institute for Teaching and Learning (ITL)

Ed Nelson indicated that ITL will be issuing an RFP for
regional workshops. The funding will cover up to $1000 per person, with a
minimum of 20 participants required. Campuses will cover other costs
(facilities, lunch, etc.).

He raised the possibility of developing regional workshops
for CSU and community college faculty using SDA. SDA is an on-line data
analysis package from UC Berkeley. A large number of data sets are becoming
available in SDA format. A program of two workshops (North and South), with a
two-tier structure might be possible. The first level would be available to
non-CSU faculty, and the second level would be oriented to the CSU, including
use of SSDBA.

Submitted by Richard Taketa.