2001-02-09: Winter 2001

February 9, 2001

California State
University, Los Angeles

 

Minutes

 

Present: Ted
Anagnoson (Los Angeles), Elliott Barkan (San Bernardino), Nan Chico (Hayward),
Don Dixon (Sonoma), Jon Ebeling (Chico), Gerry Hanley (Chancellor’s Office),
Tony Hernandez (SSDBA), Jay Emenhiser (Humboldt), Phil Gianos (Fullerton), John
Korey (Pomona), Ted Lascher (Sacramento), Mike McLean (Chancellor’s Office), Ed
Nelson (Fresno), Jim Ross (Bakersfield), Dick Shaffer (San Luis Obispo), Rich
Taketa (San Jose), Gene Turner (Northridge)

 

The meeting was called to order by the chair (Lascher) at 10
a.m.

 

1.                 
Introductions. The
Council welcomed Mike McLean (Chief of Staff, Information Technology Services,
Chancellor’s Office, 562/951-4125, mmclean@calstate.edu) and Gerry Hanley
(Acting Senior Director, Academic Technology Services, Information Technology
Services, Chancellor’s Office, 562-951-4259, ghanley@calstate.edu).

 

2.                 
Minutes. M/S/P to
approve as distributed the minutes of the Fall meeting.

 

3.                 
Funding of Data Bases.
McLean and Hanley discussed the fact that funding for social science and
other databases has in recent years come from sources used to meet short-term
needs. It is of utmost importance that
the CSU develops a funding strategy for the long term.

 

The council had a lengthy discussion of the
importance of a stable funding source and the need to avoid yearly fights
regarding this issue. Nelson stressed
the chancellor's office public commitment (before a legislative committee) to
support for data base funding.

 

This issue will be discussed at next week’s Academic
Information Resources Council (AIRC) meeting.
The AIRC is no longer an advisory body to the Chancellor’s Office, but
still serves as a useful way for representatives of discipline councils and
specialty centers to communicate.
Nelson is currently AIRC chair.

 

Another potentially useful line of
communication is the Academic Technology Advisory Committee (ATAC). style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Lascher will email Hanley to try to arrange
for a presentation at the next ATAC meeting by Nelson.

 

4. style='font:7.0pt "Times New Roman"'>                 
Council Membership.
Richard Serpe (San Marcos) is no longer on the Council and is looking
for a replacement. There will also
likely be a new representative from Stanislaus.

 

Responding to suggestions from the
fall 2000 meeting, Lascher shared draft letters to deans on campuses where
there were either participating or non-participating SSRIC
representatives. The Council expressed
its general support for sending "thank you" type letters to deans on
campuses with participating representatives, and suggesting appointments of
alternates if none had been designated.

Before sending the letter, Lascher will consult with the OR to tailor
the letter to specific needs. The
Council also supported sending dean letters urging campuses without
representatives (e.g., the Maritime Academy) to make appointments. style="mso-spacerun: yes"> The Council did not want letters sent to
campuses with representatives who had not been participating; Lascher was
encouraged to contact such people personally.

 

The Council also asked next year’s
chair to send a letter to deans next fall confirming the (re)appointment of the
campus OR.

 

5. Communication.

Lascher will send updates to the Council’s email distribution list to
Addison Ching. He will also distribute
an updated membership roster to the Council, and will ask Hernandez to post a
similar list (but without home phone or cell phone numbers) to the SSRIC
website, along with other website updates such as the minutes of Council
meetings.

 

Nelson asked for updates to the list of CSU
research-oriented faculty.

 

6. Student
Research Conference. Lascher
distributed posters and flyers for this year’s conference, to be held at
Sacramento State on May 4. Joint
faculty-student papers are acceptable, provided that the student was a genuine
partner in the research. Coauthored
student works are also welcome, as are multimedia presentations. style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Abstracts will be accepted, but
presentations lacking full papers (not exceeding journal article length) will
not be considered for prizes. Papers
from students who've graduated are acceptable provided they've been completed
within the academic year.

 

The group expressed its support for
allowing poster sessions, but expressed some uncertainty about the extent of
interest and how specifics would be handled.
It was agreed that poster sessions might be appropriate for work in the
early stages, and that poster session presenters should have a few minutes to
provide an oral overview of their work.
Gerry Hanley will send Lascher some information on poster sessions that
might be appropriate for the web link.

 

style='mso-tab-count:1'>

 

Various possible
keynote speakers were discussed; Lascher will contact them. style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Additionally, depending on the number of
student presentations we may also include a faculty workshop by Barkan or
Lascher (as the 1999-00 Field Fellow).

 

There is a link to the Conference
web page at http://gilbert.calstatela.edu/stdconf00/. style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Online Conference registration is available
at this address.

 

7.                 
ICPSR Summer Program.
M/S/P to reappoint Ebeling as Summer Program Tsar.

 

8. style='font:7.0pt "Times New Roman"'>                 
Social Science Data Base Archive (SSDBA). style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Hernandez reported on several new or
upcoming additions to the SSDBA.

 

There is now a new automated account maintenance
program. The Council recommends that
student accounts be set expire at the end of the academic year, except that 1)
requests for longer term accounts (e.g., for students working on masters
theses) be honored, and that 2) students and their faculty sponsors be sent a
reminder notice asking them if they wish to have the accounts renewed for the
following year.

 

The Survey Documentation Analysis (SDA) program,
providing for online analysis of selected datasets, has been operational for
about a year.

 

The archive of databases that are in-house but not
online can be searched, and data made available via either email or FTP
(depending on file size). In the
relatively near future, it will be possible to do a single search for data that
are available either online or in the archive.

 

Hernandez is working with Taketa to put together a
workshop at San Jose.

 

9.                 
California Social Survey.
Korey presented a draft proposal for an annual statewide survey
patterned after the General Social Survey and containing many of the same
questions, supplemented by California-specific items. A consortium of campus survey research centers would conduct the
interviews.

 

Before the spring meeting, we need to address
funding (for a cost estimated at about $40 per interview) and questionnaire
content. Barkan, Dixon, Ebeling,
McLean, and Nelson agreed to check into possible funding sources, and to send
the results of their inquiries to Korey.
Korey (in consultation with Ebeling, Lascher, and Nelson) will expand
the draft proposal to include question categories, sample design, and
budget.

 

10.             
The Field Institute (TFI).

 

June 8 is the most likely date for this year’s Field
Workshop.

 

The 2000 polls, and the first of the 2001 polls,
should be available by the end of February or early March.

 

The Field Committee (Nelson [chair], Barkan, and
Korey) recommended that the Field Fellowship be awarded to Robert Wassmer
(Sacramento), and that the question credits be awarded to Melissa Michelson
(Fresno). M/S/P to approve these recommendations

 

M/S/P to combine the RFPs for the fellowship and the
question credits into a single document.
Applicants for the fellowship would be asked if they would be willing to
accept the question credits in the event that they did not receive the fellowship
and, if so, to indicate which six questions they would retain. style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Applicants could also apply for the question
credits alone. The Committee will draft
a revised document for consideration at the Spring meeting.

 

M/S/P to replace Korey with Ebeling on the
Committee.

 

There were no applicants for the Penny Crane Student
Internship. The Council will recommend
to Field that the stipend (currently $7/hr) be increased.

 

11.             
Institute for Teaching and Learning (ITL). style="mso-spacerun: yes"> We have received funding for workshops on “Web-based
Resources to Improve Quantitative Reasoning in the Social Sciences” at
Sacramento (March 12, presented by Chico, Ed Nelson, and Elizabeth Nelson) and
Pomona (April 7, presented by Gerber, Korey, and Ross). style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Information and online registration are
available at http://www.csubak.edu/ssric/itlworkshop/.

 

12.             
National Science Foundation Grant. We did not receive funding, and will likely resubmit.

 

13.             
Election of Chair for AY 2001-2002. Barkan was chosen by acclamation.

 

14.             
Meetings for AY 2001-2002.

 

Fall: Humboldt, October 5-6.

Winter: Greater Fresno, February 8-9.

Spring: San Bernardino, April 26-27 or May 3-4.

 

15.             
SSIMS. Barkan reported
that there is still $403 in the account.
It could be used to help defray the costs of the Winter meeting.

 

The meeting was adjourned at
4 p.m.